Luna Engine MV (Visustella)
- 1 System
- 2 Download
- 3 What is Luna Engine?
- 4 Installation Instructions
- 5 Getting Started
- 6 Using Luna Engine
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions
This is a plugin created for RPG Maker MV.
For help on how to install plugins, click here.
For help on how to update plugins, click here.
Got errors with your RPG Maker MV plugin? Click here.
What is Luna Engine?
Luna Engine MV is a tool created for RPG Maker MV (RPGツクールMV) to give you the freedom to manipulate RPG Maker MV's default GUIs and modify them according to your own vision! Luna Engine can also be useful for seasoned programmers, providing a solid core base you can build up on.
The engine is only compatible with RMMV 1.6.1 and above!
The Luna Engine utilizes new features from the latest NWJS that came with the latest RMMV update. This includes ES6 syntax. We cannot guarantee that scripts under 1.5.x will work properly.
It is important to remember that Luna Engine only works on RPG Maker MV 1.6.1 and latest versions. It will not work with older versions of RPG Maker. This is because Luna Engine is using ES6 functions which requires the latest Nodejs version.
Before you Start
Install a Text IDE. This is required to prevent any errors on the user side as Text IDEs highlight important syntax. More importantly, it gives you a visual cue in regards to spacing. YAML files are sensitive to spacing (similar to Python) so this is a necessity. Here are some recommended free IDEs you can download right now!
- Visual Studio Code (https://code.visualstudio.com/) Recommended!
- Not to be confused with Visual Studio 20xx. This is a lightweight and easy to use Text IDE. One of the best in the market right now. It has a light mode and a dark mode as well.
- Install the following extensions:
- Atom Text Editor (https://atom.io/)
- Notepad++ (https://notepad-plus-plus.org/)
- A free source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. It is a lot more involved and it’s not easy to install extensions unlike VSCode or Atom.
Starting from Scratch
If you don’t have a project yet, just simply copy the Luna Engine Base Folder and rename it to whatever you’d like. This will be your main project folder and doesn’t require any additional set up.
Adding to an existing Project
If you have an existing project then you will need to do the following:
- Open your index.html with a Text IDE and add the following just below the lz-string.js entry. When in doubt, check the Luna Engine Base’s index.html to be safe.
- Copy the following files from the Luna Engine Base’s js/libs folder to your project’s js/libs folder.
Js-yaml-master folder Js-yaml.min.js Tween.js
- Copy the following files from the Luna Engine Base’s js/plugins folder to your project’s js/plugins folder.
- Copy the luna folder from the Luna Engine Base folder to your project’s root folder. It should look something like this.
- Open your project in RPG Maker, go to Plugin Manager and add Luna Engine to the plugin list. It must be below all the other scripts like this:
All customization in Luna is done through yaml files (file extension: .yml) stored in the project’s main folder under a folder labeled “luna”.
Opening the folder will yield all the yaml files and should look something like below:
These files are where all configuration and customization of Luna happens.
If Luna is installed correctly, any changes made to these files should be reflected both test plays and published versions of the project. To refresh the playtest to see these changes in action, simply press F5 to restart the game. It’s not necessary to reopen the playtest like with plugin changes. It’s highly recommended to save often and to test newly changed or implemented configurations to ensure that no unintended errors have appeared and to narrow down ones that have appeared quickly.
Using Luna Engine
Now that you have gotten a copy of all the configuration files, you can now start customizing your UI! However, it's important to know what you need to customize. Please refer to these individual pages to get started:
A breakdown of RPG Maker's UI components. Go to this page, Individual Scene Window Guide, to read the full details.
A guide on how to use Luna Engine to customize your game. Go to this page, Luna Engine Configuration Guide, to read the full details.
A quick rundown of what you can't do with Luna Engine. Go to this page, Luna Engine Limitations, to read the full details.
Official Tutorial Videos
Still under construction
User-Submitted Tutorials Playlist
Frequently Asked Questions
I am getting a SafeLoad undefined error!
- Make sure to properly follow the instructions in the installation section. This means that YAML js is missing and is not set properly in your index.html
- This is an MV preloading issue. Either have a preloader like Core Updates and Desktop Optimization (YEP), Aetherflow Preloader, YSP_Preloader, or use the Luna Engine snippet Disable Async. There are a lot of preloading plugins out there that will suit your needs.
Are you planning to do Video Tutorials?
- It’s something we are considering.